Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying (C.Y. Leung) Tuesday morning severely condemned an overnight riot that caused at least 48 police officers injured and supported the police to restore social order.
About 300 rioters clashed with police from late Monday evening to Tuesday morning in Hong Kong after a handful illegal street vendors in Mong Kok, a busy commercial district, refused to leave.
After one and a half hour of confrontation, the rioters attacked the police with bricks, stones and other makeshift weapons, destroyed police vehicles and public properties, and committed arson at several locations.
The police was forced to fire two shots to warn the rioters and rescue officers who were further attacked after injury.
So far, at least 24 rioters have been arrested and at 48 police officers injured.
Accompanied by government officials, Leung told media at his office that the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) government will not tolerate any violent behaviors and condemned the violent acts since the rioters attacked the police including those who had already been injured and lying on the ground.
The Chief Executive conveyed his sympathy to those injured police officers, journalists and other civilians in the riot.
“I believe that people have seen by themselves from news reports the seriousness of the situation,” Leung said.
“The SAR government strongly condemn the violent act and the police will apprehend those mobs and bring them into justice.”
The government will regard such an event as a riot in any city around the world, Leung said, adding that the ways in which Hong Kong police so far handled the riot had been the most restrained way compared with other places in the world.
Leung said the SAR government holds the same position with the Hong Kong police to restore peace and order in Hong Kong.
Feb. 9, 2016 on Shanghai Daily.
Read more here